Sunday, July 31, 2011

Trolled by the State Department

Looks like I've gotten into a bit of a trollfest, over at Barbara's Buddhism blog. Since now someone's impersonating not only Tassja (I checked) but also me and possibly others, I'll keep a list of comments that I've made here, as well as any comments from fake Petteri that I happen to catch. If it's not on this list, assume it's fake Petteri.

Real Petteri

  • July 31, 2011 at 8:00 am
  • July 31, 2011 at 1:03 pm
  • July 31, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Fake Petteri

  • July 31, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Note on the identity of the troll

In a comment dated July 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm, Barbara O'Brien posted the originating domain of fake Tassja's and fake Petteri's comments (the same for both):
The fake Tassja and fake Peter are the same individual, and according to a WHOIS search this person is in the Washington, DC, area and using a sherman.state.gov ISP host.
That's a US Department of State server. Stupid Hillary, you'd've thunk she's got better things to do than troll Buddhist blogs.

Added August 1, 9:15 am CET

8 comments:

  1. People can be so ridiculous sometimes.

    I'm using it as an opportunity to make some extra comments about Buddhist history and it's movement around the globe, just to keep people thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's one way of handling the situation. Tassja isn't happy at being impersonated, though. Wonder who has a grudge against both her and me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I can think of few people fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara's original article, and her link to your post were both informative, and I appreciated Nathan's response as well; all meant to get the cogs in the brain churning. Too bad the self-righteous silliness of the fake T. only gets the temper and stomach churning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technically if someone else makes comments under your name that is a form of fraud. Their IP address can be traced and charges laid. Then you can also sue them. Is it worth it for them just to take a few cheap shots? Do they want to risk defending that? Maybe losing their job or more? That's for them to figure out I suppose. I hope they do figure that out before someone actually does get pissed off enough to go after them. I've seen a few instances of this in the past few years that would have gotten me on the phone to my lawyer if it had been my name used in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but maybe Barbara should do *more* censoring of comments on her blog (at least in cases like this).

    ReplyDelete
  7. And in completely unrelated news, a well-known Buddhist blog has suddenly disappeared from the blogosphere, as has the author's Twitter account.

    ReplyDelete